NEUROTOPIA

Where brains are always on the menu! Serving up a heaping portion of the latest neuroscience news, plus a side of social commentary expertly seasoned with action potentials and cognitive functions. Garnished with general thoughts on science, ethics, and evolution. For dessert, enjoy a sickeningly-sweet understanding of human behavior!

Monday, October 24, 2005

If human beings were the sums of their possessions....

I would be reduced to a plastic Target bag of laundry, a much smaller bag of toiletries, a pair of sandals, a jacket, a bottle of castille soap/shampoo, 3 DVDs, and a backpack. This is what I've been carrying around for what feels like forever, and aside from work stuff (laptop, papers, and books), I have apparently achieved some sort of literal Buddhistic detachment from the material world, which is sort of cool(well, almost. I refuse to stop bathing and wearing clean clothes). Unfortunately, the mental detachment part is very slow in coming, and I can't even self-immolate in piles of useless plastic Walmart crap to relieve the pain.

(Translation: How sad is my life?)

5 Comments:

  • Haha...I pressed the next blog button and read your article. It had me laughing. What a great way to express yourself! I guess I'd be a truck with a few scratched up country cds. Almost a depressing thought but then again. Life happens! ~Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah Retzloff, at 10/24/2005 01:29:00 PM  

  • Wow, a real human read it? Not ten bots that troll their herbal remedies???? Amazing.

    Thanks texasgal!

    By Blogger Evil Monkey, at 10/24/2005 01:38:00 PM  

  • Hey, are you still in NC? If so, you should have this blog aggregated, or at least listed, on NCblogs.com.

    By Blogger Bora Zivkovic, at 10/24/2005 11:27:00 PM  

  • I'm actually moving out of NC to Maryland. Sorry, and best of luck! The coalition looks very sweet!

    By Blogger Evil Monkey, at 10/24/2005 11:45:00 PM  

  • EM. I hope the recent quiet spell is an effect of your moving and a temporary thing. The promise of your blog: to go at human screwyness from a neurologically informed perspective is a very interesting prospect.

    Though I have only experience and intuition where you have education, I suspect we have sized up the nature of "human nature" in rather similar ways.

    I will check back to see if you go back to posting.

    By Blogger GreenSmile, at 11/09/2005 05:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home