NEUROTOPIA

Where brains are always on the menu! Serving up a heaping portion of the latest neuroscience news, plus a side of social commentary expertly seasoned with action potentials and cognitive functions. Garnished with general thoughts on science, ethics, and evolution. For dessert, enjoy a sickeningly-sweet understanding of human behavior!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Damn, I LookED Good, or The Road Back to Fitness

I found a video of me back in the day, when I used to be in shape. I got quite depressed because graduate school, especially the last few years, really screwed with my body.

But then I got inspired to do something about it. So inspired, in fact, that I snapped a picture or two of me off my TV. Wait, does that make me inspired or narcissistic?

Continue....

Regardless, I decided the pictures should serve as a kick in the butt. So I started lifting and running again, in hopes of getting that inner tube around my waist to puncture. And then, lo and behold, I found a Muay Thai gym that also trains in Filipino Kali, Indonesian Silat, and Jun Fan/JKD. Holy shit, I said, it's just like the old days in Dave's crazy garage! Well not quite, because this one also throws in some judo and jiu jitsu, but I'm not complaining. So here we go again, a little older and slower, but in the pursuit of fitness. Hopefully I'll be knocking the wind out of some poor S.O.B. soon, like I did to Jason:

(Yes I blurred out my face to remain as anonymous as I can on the net.) And, with a little luck, I'll get my huge back err, back as well:

7 Comments:

  • Wait, does that make me inspired or narcissistic?

    Gotta be the latter. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 03:48:00 PM  

  • Hush. :)

    By Blogger Evil Monkey, at 3/15/2006 04:12:00 PM  

  • Yeah, I know the feeling. As a person who is constantly rotating between about 4 different sports, I'm always just getting into one and am therefore perpetually out of shape. It's quite demoralizing. For example, I've mostly been lifting since the new year began, but, since the weather was surprisingly beautiful last weekend, I went biking thrice, only to discover that my cardio-respiratory system is, well, crappy.

    You should watch some of the pre-big-fight training montages from the Rocky movies. They will really inspire you to train. (The montages were always the best parts of those films.) Eye of the tiger!

    By Blogger Michael, at 3/16/2006 10:09:00 AM  

  • DRAAAAAGOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Evil Monkey, at 3/16/2006 11:53:00 AM  

  • That's the spirit.

    By Blogger Michael, at 3/16/2006 11:16:00 PM  

  • "Narcissism is its own reward, cherish it" -vergelimbo 2006

    By Blogger vergelimbo, at 3/17/2006 12:32:00 AM  

  • "You like me, you really like me" --Sally Field

    By Blogger Evil Monkey, at 3/17/2006 10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home